Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Mine-O-Saur (TTA)

Today's TTA assignment is to tell about the last book you read.

The very last book I read was The Mine-O-Saur by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen.

I got it free in the book order last month and one day last week, I was struggling to find something fun to read, and I grabbed this book. I hadn't ever read it before then, but as I was reading to the class, I realized this book would soon become a staple in our class!

It's about a dino called "Mine-o-saur". He isn't very nice. He takes toys from other dinos and says "MINE MINE MINE!" He takes snacks from the dinosaurs and says "MINE MINE MINE". He gets mad at the other dino kids and destroys their tower, then he builds one all by himself. But, there isn't anyone to see how cool it is, because they have all gone to play with someone else. (no one wants to play with a dinosaur that doesn't share and play nicely) When the Mine-o-saur comes to the others to play, the other dinos look at the ground and frown. Eventually, the other dinos let him play with them if he will share and be nice. Mine-o-saur finally realizes that he has everything he wants when his friends play with him.

Anyway, my kids loved the book! We re-read the book today and had a lesson on being nice to others and talked about not being a "mine-o-saur". You should pick up a copy! I think you will love it!


For my personal reading, I've recently posted about what I finished reading last. Click here to view the post. (I'm not a super fast reader...about a book a month is all)


"Super" and I are currently reading "My Father's Dragon" by Ruth Stiles Gannett . We are loving it so far! (ages 4-8 according to the publisher). It's a story about Elmer Elevator and an alley cat going to Wild Island to help rescue a baby dragon. You should check into it if you have little ones who are ready for a bit more of a challenge. It is a "chapter book", so you will probably have to read it with your children unless they are older. Super and I do what we call "my turn - your turn" and we take turns reading the paragraphs. She loves doing it that way. Another plus is that she can comprehend the story a little better when we take turns reading.

3 comments:

Nene said...

I saw the book you and Super are reading at DI. Guess I should have picked it up! I love kids books.

Jenny said...

That book Mine-o-saur sounds awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to check it out. I love finding out about great children's books (and adult books and really any kind of good book!)

Mike and Dee said...

It sounds like a great book, especially for Marissa's age! We love having good books in our home! Thanks for the suggestion!