Friday, February 13, 2009

Facebook. Friend or Foe?

I think facebook is fun! It's more like a social thing than blogging is. I have heard many people say they like it because it's faster than blogging, but I'm not sure I can agree. On the one hand, yes, you can change your status and that takes only a second. Then you can comment on someone else's. And that's fairly quick. But on the other hand, you look for more people to be friends with, read people's notes, comment on their notes, do the tags you've been given, and BAM, you have just spent just as much time on facebook as you do when you blog!

Facebook has become like an illness for me lately! Sometimes, while I'm wondering around the house doing various tasks, I say to myself: Brandi is cleaning the toilet, or Brandi is making her bed. YUCK! I feel like Jeff from that Seinfeld episode. Remember, he is the one who always talks about himself in the 3rd person and Elaine thinks that some guy named Jeff wants to take her out, but it's really the nerd she keeps talking to!

I'm really trying to decide how much I want to embrace getting in touch with people I went to school with. I'm really curious what other people are doing, but I have some skeletons in my closet and I'm not sure I want to let them out EVER. So mostly the people I'm trying to get in touch with are the people that were more like good acquaintances. I figure that the people who I considered to be my "best friends" would probably still be somewhat around me if they were really my friends to begin with. You see, I lost contact with almost everyone right after I graduated because I went to Las Vegas for the summer to be a stripper. (jk- I went to stay with my dad) And after that I moved out of my house to go to college. Then, to throw a bigger kink in my high school friendships, I had a baby.

So, I don't know.

But, to clarify...I'm not giving up blogging. I love it! It's much more personal that facebook. I love reading other people's stories. I like sharing mine. And, if nothing else, it makes me feel like I'm at the very least preserving some personal history! :) I guess I'll do both. 'Cause I feel like they are completely different!

7 comments:

Jenny said...

i like facebook, but like blogging way better. i feel like mostly people don't put much personal stuff on facebook...i love reading the fun stories on blogs. it has been kind of fun to find old friends on facebook, but i feel like mostly the people whose pages i view or i tag or i converse with the most are the same ones whose blogs i read or who i see the most anyway. and it is easy to get sucked in... but i still am using facebook... just not as addicted to it as blogging, but that is just me.

Cindy said...

I'm not sure what I think about Facebook either. In some ways it is kind of fun. Fun to quickly see what everyone is doing.

I created an account a couple weeks ago because you talked about it several times on your blog. I really had no idea what it was about and still am confused. The format is strange to me and I honestly think the little games and sending people stuff is kind of cheesy. I just honestly do not have time for that. It is a really great way to get back in touch with people if that's what you want to do though. Blogs really make it virtually impossible most of the time to do any kind of search for people. I really feel like I get to know people much better from their blogs and so I think those will always be my favorite.

It has been great for Mark since he's been able to get in touch with old mission companions and friends that he wants to get back in touch with.

For me, not so much. I really was pretty much a loaner in High School and had very few close friends, mostly because I chose to go to a school so far away from my home. So for me there really aren't very many people I want to search out.

Unknown said...

I second your thoughts. I have WAYYYYYY to many skeletons that I don't need to be reminded about so I tend to ignore the ones who know the most and really if we were that close we still would be. I love blogging I like facebook, both are good but I enjoy the family stories and the laughter I get from reading blogs.

Brandi said...

I'm not giving up blogging! I love it too much! And even if no one reads my blog, it's great that at least I can say I'm doing some sort of family history! sort of. Well, at least I'm recording my personal history anyway :)

Zobell Fam said...

Okay so the facebook topic is a pretty TOUCHY topic in my house these days. Dallin thinks I spend WAY to much time on it and I just giggle at him. I LOVE it, however it has had its moments of "Maybe I should ditch this, or change my name". I have had some great reconnections. There have been some creepy people find me, but I can just ignore their request. As long as we use it in Moderation like everything else than I think we are okay. I LOVE IT...But I will be spending less time on it just to prove to Dallin that I can BREATHE without my facebook oxegon!

Shannon said...

OMG... I am ADDICTED to Facebook AND Blogging and Zooomr, TOO!!! I love that I'm not the only one with skeletons... but so far, most of those have stayed right where they belong... people really want to talk about the here and now - not so much the past!!! :)

Shill and Company said...

You described all of this so well. Yes, they both do take a lot of time I really don't have. Oh well. We need our social time as well as taking the time to record our history. So I too will continue to do both.

Oh, and I know what you mean about wanting to be careful as to who you have as your "friends." I really wanted to only keep it to those that I really want to stay in contact with, but then you get those invites from people from High School that you barely knew...you all know what I'm talking about. Hee hee.