Friday, July 11, 2008

2 parter: He Works Hard for His Money...and Hellboy II, One Heck of a Movie!


This week started Jason's 4 day work weeks! The company he works for decided to give it a 90 day trial, and this was our first week. His days off will float, so that can be pretty cool, and not so great at the same time. (this week, he has a 4 day weekend - that part is cool) We thought the transition would be so easy, but with Sue working so late each night, and my young women's, and the girls' gymnastics, plus Jason needing to go to bed earlier, it has been a bit more challenging than we anticipated. This past week it feels like all Jason and I do is wave a brief hello to each other, then rush off to the next thing! :(
The good thing though, and the thing I am most excited about, is the ability to go out on dates without having to worry about babysitters or anything. The kids will be in school, and as long as his day off isn't on a Tuesday or Thursday, we will have most or all of the day together!

Today, we gave the ol' date thing a test drive! We went to breakfast at Mimi's (remember how I said that was my fave), then we went to see Hellboy II. Breakfast was delish and the move was fantastic!
For those of you who might be thinking of taking your kids to see it, here's what I thought: The beginning was kind of spooky, but the rest was pretty easy going except for the usual super-hero violence (probably equivalent to Pirates 3). I would say it would be good for boys 9 and up and for girls, maybe 10 and up. (unless your kids are used to PG-13 movies)
For a grown up... it was very very good. It had action, humor, love, suspense. I even got a few tears at one point (those who know me well, won't find that hard to believe though) I think the show ranked up there with Spiderman 2 and Iron Man for me. And, the cool thing about the Hellboy movies, is that they don't feel like the other super-hero movies. I give it 4 1/2 stars. (only because, as a movie critic, no one gives a movie all 5 stars)
Here is what my hubby says about Hellboy: The central theme to Hellboy is that he has a choice to be who he wants to be. His adopted father gave him the ability to choose what he wanted to do with his life. (sound familiar?) So in spite of his origins he decides to be good to his fellow man. Even when the people he is helping judge him solely on his appearance.
now for a funny quote from the show (not a spoiler)
man 1: No thanks, my body is a temple.
man 2: Well, now it's an amusement park!
ok: now let me explain this post's song choices:
40 hour week: well, I couldn't find Donna Summer's She Works Hard for Her Money. The only other song I know about working is this Alabama one. (reminds me of Jr. High)
Can't Smile Without You: from Hellboy II
Beautiful Freak: from Hellboy II (I really like the Eels.)

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Alfredo works 4 tens (but his days off are the same each week). We like it. He does have to get up really early (he leaves by about 5 or 5:15 each morning), but he's home by 5:30 each night and he's home with the girls at least 1 day a week which saves us on day care and has really helped them have a close relationship. He has taken care of them 1 or 2 days a week(depending on his schedule which has changed a couple times in the past 5 years) since Michelle was born.

That will be nice to have time together during the day while the kids are at school. I bet once the school year starts, you'll end up really liking the new schedule.

Shill and Company said...

Wow, I had no idea that Jason was going to have a change like that with work. In many ways that sounds like it will be awesome. Good luck. I am very jealous of the time that you will have alone together without the kiddies.

I must say Brandi that I am surprised about the movie review. That was one that upon seeing the commercials freaked me out! I am shocked that you liked it so much. Very interesting. I'll have to discuss that one with Chris. It seems to me that he did like the first one, which I have never seen, but he didn't seem to jazzed to see the 2nd one. Thanks for your insight.

Cindy said...

I'm jealous too. I'd love it if Mark had a 4 day work week. We rarely see each other as it is so it would give us lots more time together. I hope it will work out really great for you both.

I'm surprised at your raving review of the Hellboy movie. I have preface this by saying I know absolutely nothing about the movie so I'm totally ignorant. A few days ago I saw a picture in the paper of the red guy (hellboy?) holding a gun and I read the review. The review was good but I thought what crazy person wants to go see a movie where the main character looks like such a freak? He really looks awful and I completely judged the movie by that and though it would be awful. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge. I still won't be seeing it though. Sci-fi stuff is a little crazy for me. :)

Nene said...

I am doing the date thing with Chris tomorrow night and guess what we are going to see? Hellboy! We both loved the first one and the second one is getting such good reviews - I can't wait! And that quote is hilarious! You'll have to keep us posted on if the company stays with the 4/10's after the 90 days.

Anonymous said...

The central theme to Hellboy is that he has a choice to be who he wants to be. His adopted father gave him the ability to choose what he wanted to do with his life. (sound familiar?) So in spite of his origins he decides to be good to his fellow man. Even when the people he is helping judge him solely on his appearance.