Friday, February 8, 2013

Expecting? I didn't expect that

Last year, as I was helping my grandma go through boxes and boxes of old photos, we came across this pregnancy book...from when my mom was expecting Yours Truly. When I brought it home, I placed it on a shelf above my dresser, and there it's sat for over a year! (that's embarrassing).

This week, I went to put the book away, and began looking through it again. I was shocked when I found some old receipts! Babies were CHEAP back then. Yes, I know it's all somewhat relative because minimum wage was $1.60 (I just looked that up. Holy cow!) At any rate, here is what my parents spent on my crib, mattress and bumper pad- $44.00 (the back of that receipt shows my mom's handwriting, stating what it was for) My car seat and high chair were $35.07. Let me say that again... $35.07! 

Me. Nov. 1972
I saw on facebook one day, that one of my friends had spent something like $300 for a car seat! I about had a heart attack! I thought: how in the heck are Ky and Trent going to be able to afford a baby when they have one? How will I afford to be a grandparent? (This, thank goodness, is not a baby announcement for them) But, when our "baby" was born, we bought the best car seat on the market (according to consumer reports) for about $100-150. I remember it was the Alpha Omega. The Beginning and the end. Meaning, it was the only seat you would have to buy. And for the most part, it was. Although we did by a less bulky booster seat when she was about 4 or 5.

OK sorry. Enough rambling. I just wanted to share my findings with you. It's not every day that we run into a financial record dating before we were born!
Almost forgot the song of the day: When You Were Young- The Killers  favorite line: They say the Devil’s water it ain’t so sweet
You don’t have to drink right now 
But you can dip your feet 
Every once in a little while

Photobucket

No comments: