Monday, September 7, 2009

Give a Hoot!

Holy crap! I can't believe it's Monday already!

Last night, as Jason and I were coming home, there was a nice truck next to us at the stop light. I didn't think anything of it until out of the corner of my eye, I see a man's hand out the window dropping garbage out into the street! We couldn't believe it. As we started to drive on, he stuck his hand out again and threw out some more garbage! Unbelievable! Right then, I knew what my mommy moment was going to be!

I am VERY passionate about being a good citizen. I owe my mom for teaching me. We didn't always see eye to eye, and there were things she probably could have done a little differently, but she did teach me to be a good person. It's something that I'm extremely grateful for! And it's something I am very avid about teaching my children. My greatest hope for the future that my children will grow up to be good, useful, upstanding citizens who take pride in their country and their community.

They will:
  • Be honest
  • Follow the rules*
  • Put away their grocery carts
  • Take care of their homes and yards
  • Throw garbage in the garbage can and not on the ground
  • Recycle (we're still working on this one)
  • Vote
  • Work hard and clock out for breaks
  • Give 2 weeks notice before quitting a job
  • Purchase sensible vehicles that get good gas millage (and check consumer reports before doing so)
*More about Rule Following- Friday was school pictures. Now, school pictures aren't very exciting when they are uniform pictures. My kids were each told by their teachers, that they were supposed to wear navy that day. But I got an email from the school letting me know that the kids had to be in uniform, but it said nothing about wearing navy. When we were putting clothes out for the next day, I went to grab the outfit I planned for Super; which was not navy, when Supe said "No, I think I'm just going to wear my navy polo". I was like the devil's advocate. I said "Are you sure you want to wear that? The email didn't say anything about needing to wear navy" She said "Yep. I'm sure! I want to wear navy". Loo did pretty much the same thing. I guess maybe I am doing something right!

Well, that's about it for my mommy moment. I thought a collection of Garbage songs would be appropriate for today. I think I'm Paranoid, Milk, and Stupid Girl are among my favorites!

We would love to have some more participants for Proud Mommy Monday! Everyone is doing something right! Hop on over to Shannon's blog for more details. It's fun to read what other mothers are doing right! Plus, when you participate, it gives you 2 things: #1 a tiny pat on the back that you need and #2 something else to blog about! Oh, and if you do join us, add your link to the McLinky at the bottom of her post so that we can all read and learn from you!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Jenny said...

What good girls you have raised. I'm surprised that they still have to wear uniforms on picture day. All the schools I know of have a no uniform day on picture day. (Although I don't know about Catholic school...and obviously your school doesn't. :)) But how good of them to want to follow the rules. Great mommy moment, Brandi. I may not participate today... haven't thought of anything to share.

By the way, here's the topics from Creating Keepsakes in case you don't buy the magazine...or just until you do:

*Jot down 5 random facts about your life. (They give a ton of suggestions like your favorite snack, most-listened-to song, nickname, your process for baking, feelings about shopping, etc.)

*Record a story that always makes you laugh.

*Share the 3 most defining moments or most important decisions of your life.

*Describe yourself in 5 words.

*Focus on a hidden talent that most people don't know you have.

*Relate favorite memories from childhood. (Examples: playtime, mealtime, schooling, popular phrases, favorite games, daily schedules, sibling relations, technologies available, neighborhood setting, hair and clothing styles)

*Take note of your gifts and blessings (Examples:: service you give, how you appreciate life, gifts you have that you share with others, talents and skills, kind words you have spoken, etc.)

*Reveal a lifelong dream.

*Complete a quick quiz about your childhood or life before you became a mom. (They include 2 quizzes).

*Share a life changing quote or phrase.

Cami said...

Snaps to you! I think that you are an incredible mom and that all of your girls are great! Keep up the good work however I am warning you if Madi gets outta hand I'm sending her your way! My program is called Memory Mixer. I love love love it!

Shannon said...

You are definitely teaching them about following rules! It is amazing that they chose to do what they knew they were supposed to, even though you gave them the chance not to! ;) Do tell... in the weeks to come... how do you go about teaching all of those things??? I know a lot is by example, but not ALL! That is the best list! My dad ALWAYS stressed job etiquette when I got my first job... I was ALWAYS to be 10 minutes early for work, always work hard and clock out for breaks (same as you), and there just was no quitting jobs PERIOD! I thank him everyday for stressing these things to me. I have NEVER been a quitter and I know he is the reason why!!! :)

Brandi said...

Thanks Jenny! You rock for giving me all that information!!! I'm really going to have to think hard about all those topics.