Thursday, April 15, 2010

Let's Call The Whole Thing Off

One Saturday morning, Jason and the girls were all still asleep, so I crept downstairs for some computer time. I had been on my friend Ginger's blog, reading about some chocolate cake that she had made, and there was a link to this other blog. So...I clicked. I was intrigued. Little did I know that this would be where I would spend the next four hours of my life! I saw this cute picture on her sidebar and Black Heels to Tractor Wheels and something about Marlboro Man. I had to keep reading.

Anyway, now I follow her blog. It's my new favorite blog....aside from yours of course.

So....Ree (the Pioneer Woman- or P-Dub as she sometimes calls herself) highlights a different recipe every Tuesday and takes pictures of all of the process. This Tuesday, there was a recipe that I couldn't pass up! Plus, I really needed an excuse to buy a bundt pan.
I won't bore you with all of my step by step pictures. Ree has already posted some gorgeous photos!
But here's my finished product:
If I remember; because I'm writing this the night before it's going to post, and because I don't want you getting all excited or discombobulated with all this posting; today's song will be Let's Call The Whole Thing Off by Ella Fitzgerald and Lois Armstrong. And, if you haven't already clicked on the links above, it may shed some insight as to what this cake has in it.

By the way, the cake tastes just as good as it looks. Better- even!
Photobucket

7 comments:

spice2116 said...

wow brandi that looks awesome!! i saw that cake too with the secret ingredient lol how was it?

glad i have someone else to share my pioneer woman obsession with ;)

Nene said...

I'll take a bowl of that frosting! Yum!

Unknown said...

my mouth is watering looking at it! YUM....so how many points for a sliver?????

Brandi said...

Ginger, the cake was DEvine! Yummy! It was very much like a pumpkin cake or carrot cake, so don't let the name scare you away!

Dani, the cake is 10 points (if you made it like I did) and slice it in 10 pieces.

I replaced 1 Tbs of the shortening for 3 1/2 Tbs of flax seed. (so I had 3 Tbs shortening and 3 1/2 Tbs flax seed) I used whole wheat flour rather than regular flour. Oh, and I did 1 cup raisins (those take off 1 point if you don't add them in and they are optional)

For frosting: I did 8oz. weight watchers cream cheese, 1/4 c. butter, 2 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 t. vanilla.

It was seriously yummy! You guys have to try it!

Shill and Company said...

Perhaps you should share with the class.

Kim said...

I LOVE HER!!! I can spend hours looking at her blog. My sister got me and my mom hooked a year ago and now we talk about her like we really now her! Have fun spending hours and hours there! and I love her recipes. :)

Brandi said...

I know what you mean Kim, Ree and I are practically best friends!!